For all persons given the Diabetes Care Survey (DCS) and have been told they have diabetes, DIAFLUNV reports whether the respondent has never had a flu vaccination (shot or nasal spray). If the respondent answers "yes," they are indicating that they have never received a flu vaccination.
Prior to 2008, information about the length of time since a respondent last had a flu shot was recorded in DIAFLUYRS, which reports the approximate number of years since a respondent last had a flu shot. Beginning in 2008, MEPS changed the structure of the question about a flu vaccination. DIAFLUNV and the following variables contain information about the length of time since a respondent's last flu vaccination (shot or nasal spray):
- DIAFLNXYR: respondent had a flu vaccination in the subsequent calendar year
- DIAFLCALYR: respondent had a flu vaccination in the current calendar year
- DIAFLPVYR: respondent had a flu vaccination in the previous calendar year
- DIAFLBFPVYR: respondent had a flu vaccination before the previous calendar year
DIAFLUNV is one of a set of variables comprising the DCS, a supplemental, self-administered pencil-and-paper survey about how respondents treat their diabetes. For related variables and more information, please see DIACONF.
Codes and Frequencies
- 2008-2019: All persons ages 18+ who reported a diabetes diagnosis in the priority conditions section of the MEPS survey (DIABETICEV), and were given the Diabetes Care Survey (DCS), and reported in the DCS that they had been told by a doctor or other health professional they have diabetes or sugar diabetes (DCSDIABDX).
- 2008-2019 : DIABWEIGHT