For persons ages 18 and older who were living at the time of the Round 1 interview, CANCEREV identifies respondents who have been diagnosed with cancer. Respondents were asked if they have ever been told "by a doctor or other health professional that (PERSON) had cancer or a malignancy of any kind?"
Beginning in Panel 12, CANCEREV was included as a Priority Condition in the Priority Conditions Enumeration (PE) section. For more information about how the panel design of the MEPS impacts data collection, please see the MEPS Panel Design user note. The PE section was asked in its entirety in Round 1 for all current or institutionalized persons, and in Rounds 2 and 4 only for new reporting unit members. In Rounds 3 and 5, the specific condition questions (except joint pain and chronic bronchitis) were asked only if the person had not reported the condition in a previous round; the joint pain and chronic bronchitis questions were asked in Rounds 3 and 5 for all current or institutionalized persons aged 18 or older, regardless of Round 1, Round 2, and Round 4 responses. However, beginning in 2017, the PE section is no longer asked in Round 5. The conditions included in the PE section are:
- High blood pressure, including multiple diagnoses (HYPERTENEV)
- Heart disease (including coronary heart disease, angina, myocardial infarction, and other unspecified heart disease) (CHEARTDIEV)
- Stroke (STROKEV)
- Emphysema (EMPHYSEMEV)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- High cholesterol, including the age of diagnosis (CHOLHIGHEV, CHOLHIGHAGE)
- Diabetes (DIABETICEV)
- Joint pain
- Arthritis (ARTHGLUPEV)
- Asthma (ASTHMAEV)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder/Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD/ADD) (ADDEV)
These conditions were selected because of their relatively high prevalence, and because generally accepted standards for appropriate clinical care have been developed.
Beginning with Panel 12, condition data were collected at the person-by-round level (indicating if the person was ever diagnosed with the condition) and at the condition level. If the person reported having been diagnosed with a condition, the person-by-round variable was set to '1' (Yes) and a condition record for that medical condition was created.
Codes and Frequencies
- 2008-2019: All persons ages 18+ who were living at the time of the Round 1 interview.
- 2008-2020: All persons ages 18+ who were living at the time of the Round 1 interview.
- 2008-2020 : PERWEIGHT