For children ages 0 to 17, LESSHLTHY reports if the child seems to be less healthy than other children.
IPUMS MEPS reports the universe for each variable based on a thorough review of the original MEPS documentation. Investigating the data may reveal cases that do not meet the stated universe. Users are encouraged to validate universes for their analyses.
LESSHLTHY is part of the General Health Subscale of the Child Health Questionnaire, which is collected on the Child Preventive Health Supplement. See NEVERILL for more information on the General Health Subscale.
LESSHLTHY is part of the Child Preventive Health Supplement (CS). The CS was introduced in 2001 and consists of several questionnaires that report on the health and behaviors of children under age 18 and the preventive care they receive. Prior to 2001, some questions included in the CS had been fielded as part of the Parent Administered Questionnaire (PAQ). Both the PAQ and CS are fielded in Rounds 2 and 4. The questionnaires that are part of the CS include:
- General Health Subscale of the Child Health Questionnaire (see NEVERILL)
- Children with Special Health Care Needs Screener (see CHSPECND)
- Columbia Impairment Scale (see PROBMOM)
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (see VISITYRNO)
- Child Preventive Care (see HGTMEAS)
Codes and Frequencies
- 2001-2013: Children ages 0-17.
- 2001-2013 : PERWEIGHT