For current RU members in rounds 2 and 4 whose family members had a difficulty, delay, or did not receive needed health care and who reported a main problem that caused the difficulty/delay/non-receipt (DIFCARFMY), DIFCARFMYOTH reports that family members had some other problem not listed, in addition to the main problem reported in DIFCARFMY.
Specific other reasons (in addition to the main problem reported in DIFCARFMY) for difficulty/delay/non-receipt of needed care include:
- DIFCARFMYCST: Couldn't afford care
- DIFCARFMYINS: Insurance company won't pay
- DIFCARFMYPRE: Pre-existing condition
- DIFCARFMYRFL: Insurance required referral
- DIFCARFMYDRR: Dr refused insurance
- DIFCARFMYDIS: Distance
- DIFCARFMYTRA: No public transit
- DIFCARFMYTCT: Transportation cost
- DIFCARFMYHR: Hearing impairment
- DIFCARFMYLAN: Language barrier
- DIFCARFMYINT: Hard to get into building
- DIFCARFMYIND: Hard to get around inside building
- DIFCARFMYEQP: No appropriate equipment in office
- DIFCARFMYWRK: Couldn't get time off work
- DIFCARFMYWHR: Didn't know where to get care
- DIFCARFMYREF: Was refused services
- DIFCARFMYCLD: Couldn't get child care
- DIFCARFMYTIM: Didn't have time or took too long
Persons who reported a main problem for their family members' difficulty/delay/non-receipt of needed care were asked to report additional contributing problems, and could report more than one problem as part of this follow-up question unless they indicated refused to answer, indicated they didn't know, or reported that they had no problems other than the main problem.
DIFCARFMYOTH is collected as part of the Access to Care supplement, which gathers information on usual source of care for all family members, characteristics of usual source of care health providers, and barriers family members have faced in obtaining needed health care.
Codes and Frequencies
In all years other than 1996, the question is asked of persons in rounds two and four of data collection. No persons participated in round four of data collection in 1996, given the MEPS panel design. Otherwise, there are no comparability issues.
- 1996: Current RU members in round 2 whose family members have difficulties/delays/did not receive needed health care and provided a main reason (DIFCARFMY), excluding members who are deceased or institutionalized.
- 1999-2001: Current RU members in rounds 2 and 4 whose family members have difficulties/delays/did not receive needed health care and provided a main reason (DIFCARFMY), excluding members who are deceased or institutionalized.
- 1996, 1999-2001
- 2000-2001 : PERWEIGHT