PSTATSRD reports a person's disposition status in round. With the exception of not in universe codes, the IPUMS codes match those provided in the original MEPS data. These codes provide detailed information, and can be conceptually grouped as follows:
- Codes beginning with 0 indicate an incorrect inclusion in the RU from NHIS; this is only available in Round 1
- Codes beginning with 1 broadly indicate that the person was in scope
- Codes beginning with 2 broadly indicate that the person's disposition status was driven by institutionalization; these are not available for the first interview of a survey year (e.g. round 1 for respondents in their first MEPS survey year and round 3 for respondents in their second MEPS survey year). They are available for rounds 2 and 3 for respondents in their first survey year, and for rounds 4 and 5 for respondents in their second survey year.
- Codes beginning with 3 broadly indicate that the person left the RU and was not eligible to be followed
- Codes beginning with 4 broadly indicate that the person has moved (both to and away from the RU) and was possibly eligible to be followed
- Codes beginning with 5 indicate someone joining the RU (as a newborn)
- Codes beginning with 6 broadly indicate that the person's status changed prior to the first round (e.g., between NHIS and MEPS)
- Codes beginning with 7 broadly indicate that the person was non-key
- Codes beginning with 8 indicate a full time student who moved, did not respond, and has imputed values
Codes and Frequencies
Not all PSTATSRD categories are available in all rounds. Some categories have the same label, but are assigned different numeric codes if associated with the first interview of the year (round 1 for respondents in their first survey year, round 3 for respondents in their second survey year) than if they are fielded during a subsequent interview (rounds 2 and 3 for survey year one, rounds 4 and 5 for survey year two).
- 1996-2021: Persons who are in scope.
- 1996-2021 : PERWEIGHT