EDUCYR indicates the number of years of education attained by persons age 5 and older at the time of their first MEPS interview. Children who are 5 years of age and older, but who have never attended school, were coded as "Never attended/Kindergarten only." Children under age 5 were coded as "Inapplicable," regardless of if they have attended school.
Codes and Frequencies
For 1996-1998, the number of years of completed education was asked in every interview round and EDUCYR reports the highest number of years of education completed as of the last day of the survey year (12/31). For 1999-2012, EDUCYR reports the number of years of completed education for the respondent when they first entered MEPS. EDUCYR was dropped from the survey in 2013. It was re-added to the survey in 2014; however, for the 2014 survey year, it was only collected for persons who had entered MEPS in Panel 18, Round 5 or Panel 19, Round 3. This limited sample size for 2014 may make it difficult to compare the 2014 EDUCYR data to that of previous years. Beginning in 2015, EDUCYR was again collected for all persons aged 5 and older.
For 1996-1998, children under 5 were categorized as Unknown - Not Ascertained (98) instead of NIU (96).
- 1996-1998: All persons.
- 1999-2011, 2016: Persons age 5+.
- 2012: Persons age 5+ in their 1st or 2nd interview round and in Panel 16.
- 2014: Persons age 5+ who are new RU members in their 5th interview round (Panel 18) or in their 3rd-5th interview round (Panel 19)
- 2015: Persons age 5+ in who are new RU members in their 3rd-5th interview round (Panel 19) or in Panel 20.
- 1996-2012, 2014-2016
- 1996-2012, 2014-2016 : PERWEIGHT